Information

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Wise Words from Sharon Draper

Our friend and author, Sharon Draper, posted on Facebook about why she wrote Out of My Mind.  For those of you who haven't read it, it's the story about a New Voices child.  Melody is a young girl with a communication and physical disability whose potential is really underestimated.  Melody finally gets a communication system (which at the time it was written was a figment of Sharon's imagination) and Melody begins to share what she knows.  The other theme of the book is about acceptance, which is what Sharon posted about today.  Here is her post: 

"Kids with disabilities are just like their peers. They want to be accepted, to have friends, to be included in the social life of the school. Melody in "Out of My Mind" understands the pain of being ignored and overlooked. I gave her a voice to show her humanity. She represents all those young people, who have feelings as well as dreams. I wanted to give those kids, who are often treated as if they are invisible, a chance to be heard, to be seen as the individuals they are, not the machines they ride in, or the disability that defines them."

Thank you Sharon.  Here is the link to her post on her Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/sharonmdraperofficial/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using OneDrive App on IPads by Matt Kennedy

I wanted to share this post I saw in the QUAT listserv because I was always searching for a way to complete worksheets when my daughter was...