Information

Monday, January 8, 2018

A Message from our Fall Intern - Caleb Bartholomew

                Throughout high school, I worked with nonprofit that paired teens in the program with children with disabilities, who we call buddies, for a year-long (or sometime two-year-long) journey together through adventure and the arts. From my three buddies — Matthew, Thomas, and Max — I truly learned that people are people are people and that everyone is deserving of love and belonging. I learned that a disability does not equal a lack of ability, but that sometimes it required a different route to get there.
Caleb Bartholomew
                When I was chosen to work with New Voices this semester I was super excited! But, if I am being honest, I was quite nervous. I did not know much about the children who New Voices served because I these were children that I had never worked with before. While my buddies from high school did have disabilities, they were not severely affected in speech or mobility; when we would hang out, it was easy to run around and communicate with each other. I wasn’t necessarily sure of how I was going to talk about my internship with other people when they asked me.
                On day one, Sandy, the executive director, gave my partner and I homework. She handed us the resources we needed to learn about New Voices, the work it does, and the children that they serve. At our next meeting, we were to be able to give an entire elevator speech for the organization.  So, I did my homework. At our second meeting, Sandy, Meredith, and I met in the lobby of Kay’s, Sandy’s daughter, apartment complex where she just came up in conversation. Meredith had met her, but I hadn’t. I learned about how Kay was graduating from NC State in December with multiple degrees and with honors, something that I plan and hope to be able to do. I thought to myself about how challenging a feat that is for everyone, let alone someone like Kay, and how amazing that is. I thought to myself about what NC State and all the communities has and will interact with would have lost if Kay’s potential had not been realized.
                While planning our Scrabble Tournament Fundraiser and sitting in on board meetings and strategic planning sessions, I really saw the passion that each of those who work with New Voices has for these children. The staff and the board worked tirelessly to ensure that the opportunity for and right to an education that works for New Voices children was present in the public school system because they understand this unrealized potential that I, myself, did not fully understand until recently.
                I (finally) got to meet Kay and other people who work and interact with New Voices at our Scrabble Tournament! Again, I was really nervous about how I was going to go about what should I say, how should I stand, what do I do, but talking to them was really easy. Kay and I had the same small talk that I have with just about anyone else that I meet on campus — what’s your major, do you like this professor, when do you graduate — and it was just cool! She did test me on elevator speech, though, which I can say I think I did a pretty good job. It was interesting to me to see myself learn what I had “already” learned again, how people are people are people, how we all deserve love and belonging (and access to an education that works for us), and how disability does not equal a lack of ability, but that sometimes it requires a different route to get there.
       I am incredibly grateful to have been able to work with New Voices this semester. The staff and board are extremely dedicated to what they do, and it is inspiring! I am excited to live in a world where there are those who are working to create a better and more inclusive education system that works for everyone because without them and without New Voices children, we would all be missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using OneDrive App on IPads by Matt Kennedy

I wanted to share this post I saw in the QUAT listserv because I was always searching for a way to complete worksheets when my daughter was...